Practical Stress Management Tips

I know that stress is creeping back into my life. This is the first time I contracted a flu after 3 months of being in our new apartment. My 2nd one in Davao. I don't understand why I keep tabs on these things but I do. That's just me I guess.

When we arrived in Davao I conditioned my mind that I wasn't going to take on a job and just concentrate on family, especially Rapha who is still struggling with his reading. But things took a turn when I started taking Real Estate Classes, accepted an online job and now started selling real properties just to start practicing this new career that I was going to have. On the side I started designing again and I have this strange feeling that I'm going back to production any time soon. 

Now all these things (sweeping my hand to emphasize my point) are giving me the (unnecessary) stress that I had avoided in the last months because I thoroughly enjoyed the rest. But I have to think forward and I have to earn for the family and establish a career. The stress brought about by these new things in my life, therefore, are quite necessary. What is important, though, is that I should learn to manage it now that I couldn't really avoid it.

I used to teach stress management back in College and this is something that I must apply to my life now. Some principles that I want to share (not absolutes, just off the top of my head)

1. Don't bite off more that you can chew. This is one principle that I just don't learn from but I intend to practice this time. I have to pull the stops when I feel like I'm overloading myself with work. Otherwise not only will I comprise my health, I also compromise the quality of my work.

2. Know your priorities.  I always have 5-point priority that I always go back to whenever I feel that I have become overwhelmed by what I'm doing: God, Spouse, Children, Career, and Others (or ministry/philanthropic/volunteer work) in that specific order. It's non-negotiable. It's the very reason why I left my job in Iloilo to follow my husband to Davao. Family will always come first before career. 

3. Utilize a scheduling/Time Management tool. There so many time management tools available today. Yearly calendars/diaries, apps on your Android or iPhone, Google Calendar, or a simple tickler will do. As a virtual assistant/designer I learned the beauty of scheduling things and sticking to that schedule. If we don't the external factors that tend to overwhelm us and our schedule will eat up what little time left we have to ourselves, our family, for solitude etc. Before you know it you go back to number 1: biting off more than you can chew.

4. Multitasking is good, but it is best to focus on one task at a time. Everything on this earth has an end. Every task, project, program has a deadline so stick to that deadline instead of jumping from one task to another. If you do that you will end up not finishing anything at all.

5. It is okay to say "No". You don't have to please everyone. In life there are risks. If you feel that by saying "No" there would be an opportunity loss weigh if the loss is worth it or not. If it is worth letting go then do so, if not identify another task that you can let go.

Just about a few seconds ago I was tempted to do something that was not scheduled for today. So I just had to say no to myself and stick to what I'm supposed to do. Multitasking has its place, but it is still more beneficial for you if you focus.


http://yoooriginals.blogspot.com/2013/09/there-is-time-for-everything.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Secure Your NBI Clearance in Davao City

I Have Found Her

What To do When You are Stressed